Friday, May 9, 2008

Random musings from last week's Celtics game

While in line for a popcorn last week at the Celtics game I was asked by the vendor if I wanted the "Big" popcorn or the "Really Big" popcorn. I told him that I wanted the large one and he proceeded to try to give me the "Big" or small one. This led to a funny exchange with the vendor where we joked about what constitutes large. My point is that with 2 choices one should be called small and one should be called large. To put this in context, the "Big" popcorn was actually smaller than a movie size small. While foolish marketing has led us away from the traditional Small, Medium, Large model (to the Big, Bigger, Biggest), is it really too much to ask to have the vendor know what I am talking about when I try to order a large popcorn? I am calling for an across the board adopting of no more than 3 sizes for any items with the designation of Small, Medium, and Large (regardless of size) If there are only two items I am calling for a Small and Large designation. All in favor say "Aye"

At the same Celtics game, I noticed WEEI personalities Glen Ordway and Pete Shepard sitting court side at the game. I became a bit disturbed because my thought was that since they are members of the media that they more than likely should be sitting in the press box as opposed to court side. This is of course unless they bought the tickets themselves. As the tickets priced at a minimum of $1,000 per I am sure that this was not the case. In remaining true to my theme of everyone knows nothing, doesn't this constitute a huge conflict of interest? By accepting courtside seats to the game from the Celtics they are publicly showing that they are in the bag for the Celts. This unquestionably muddys up their objectiveness toward not only the Celtics but brings into question what favors they are accepting from the other teams in town. In my opinion, this is completely unprofessional and illustrates the fact that in our media culture almost everyone is selling out to be a part of the story as opposed to reporting on the story. If you are going to go in the tank for the Celtics and take the tickets, at least have the intelligence to take a pair of good Loge seats as opposed to sideline seats in order to show some discretion. As a side note, aren't there also either corporate policy issues and/or tax issues here as well as the tickets to the game are valued at over $1,000 a pop and have to be constituted as a gift? Someone from the IRS, please get on this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I told him that I wanted the large one and he proceeded to try to give me the "Big" or small one. This led to a funny exchange with the vendor where we joked about what constitutes large."

Thanks for holding up the popcorn line! - P. Shepard

As for the perks that go with being in sports media the ass kissers objectivity went out years ago, long before this recent stretch of championships where blowing the pros was taken to a new level.

Most of these media types want to be friends with the players rather than objectively report what is happening on the court/field, etc.
Dale Arnold comes to mind along with a host of other who cave once the player is on the air with them.

They play golf together and do charity events in conjunction with each other. They're so used to getting free food and tons of perks when it comes time to be objective about a player they're already in the tank, UNLESS it's a player who is on another team or has left town. I suppose they ass kiss to maintain access or be without a story but I'd bet if they were fair and objective then the players may respect them more.

Once I would have loved to see a well informed reporter tell Parcells to go fuck himself. Who could forget McDonough dropping Clayborne in the Pats locker room.

"The Punisher"