Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Keep America Beautiful and other recycling thoughts

Make no mistake about it, I am a recycling Nazi. Ever since my first visit to Prince Edward Island where even recycling compost out of your trash is mandatory, I have been fully committed to recycling. Upon reflection, I just don't understand why anyone wouldn't recycle. If you are going to take the pizza box and put it in the trash can, what difference is it to put it in the blue box instead. The truth is it doesn't take an change in behavior to recycle (unlike littering 30 years ago) as, for the most part, everyone now throws their trash away. Thankfully, rarely do we see anyone litter anymore as that practice has evolved into being socially irresponsible. I am not sure why the lack of recycling hasn't had the same negative association (perhaps because litter is obvious where as if you throw away recycled goods, no one can see it). However the practice of stopping littering, more so than recycling, did take a change in behavior. So perhaps there is hope. One of the larger drivers toward stopping littering during the initial environmental movement in the 1970's is of course the famous 1971 PSA Keep America Beautiful seen here.

A couple of thoughts on this PSA. First of all, Chief Iron Eyes Cody, the actor portraying the Indian is not even Native American. The guy is Sicilian. He was a child actor who was pegged to be an Indian. Over time he not only denied he was Italian (claiming to be part Cree/part Cherokee) but changed his name from Espera (Tony) de Corti to Chief Iron Eyes Cody. Side note: How great is it that he decided to make himself a Chief? He could have just been a member of any tribe but decided on Chief. He also completely fulfilled the vision by adopting several Native American children as well. Secondly, upon reflection, shouldn't this really be a PSA for racial tolerance. It appears to met that perhaps the "Chief" may be actually crying because some redneck just whipped a MacDonald's bag at the guy while driving down the freeway. You decide, Racial attack or common littering? Also, please note that side links on this site include a sequel commercial where the "Chief" cries again after riding his horse to another freeway (note that he has gone to elevation perhaps to avoid future racial taunts). and also note the 1970's Kool-Aid commercial as well which in addition to being a-whole-nother post is just classically funny.

But I digress....

Since my revelation, I am conscious of waste. One of the most notable forms of waste is getting 9 million plastic bags from Wal-Mart and/or the supermarket, post purchase. Wal-Mart is perhaps the most egregious in this practice as they have that bag wheel that easily allows them to put a single item in each and every bag. I have chosen to forgo bags whenever necessary and just carry the items out of the store by hand which often results in odd looks and questions from the check out clerk. Most often, when after asking for the items in no bags, the clerk doesn't seem to understand the request, puts the first item in the bag, is told again "no bag please", proceeds to ask me if I am sure or makes a face at me as they pull the item out of the bag. I have also embraced the cloth bag for my supermarket purchases. Beyond the fact that it eliminates the need for both the paper and plastic bag, the best part of the cloth bag is that you can get more items in each bag and they are much easier to carry as they have a strap. I am able to get all of my groceries into my house after shopping in some times a single trip. I am not sure as to why they have not been adopted at a greater rate as they not only are a better environmental option but improve the end user experience as well.
The bags are cheap and can bought at your local supermarket or better yet, here

Lastly, and the main reason for this post is my outrage at the waste I see at the supermarket regarding my receipts. Every time I shop I have to wait 5 minutes for the 8 foot long receipt to come out of the supermarket cash register followed by the two small credit card slips. While I understand the need for receipts to validate purchases why can't supermarkets adopt a model where the receipt is optional? I can't believe that NCR can't make a cash register that allows you to choose whether you want a receipt or not at checkout. We also know that there are systems that record transactions and you only need to re-swipe your credit card to have the transaction be recalled by the system without a receipt (Lowes and Toys R Us are two stores where I have recently made returns without receipts). I understand that there are infrastructure and database costs associated with this, but what kind of item would you possibly return at a supermarket any later than 2 days after purchase? You would make the return more than likely immediately after putting the groceries away (leaky milk, crushed fruit, etc). Because these are short term and low cost items I have to imagine that you could would only need a small database as you could clean out transactions after two weeks as it is unlikely groceries would be returned after that time. Better yet, why not adopt a policy where you accept every return without a receipt. I am sure you can make the business case that would show accepting all returns would cost less that the cost of delivering 2 foot long paper receipts to your customers with every purchase. I think that this is again a process that needs to be improved as it adds business value, shopping experience value, and environmental value.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too recycle here in Boston using the blue bins. While helping the enviroment, more importantly it keeps the homeless from tearing thru my trash to get to those .05 cent deposits for cheap vodka.

I also keep a bin on my porch for the pounds of junk mail that comes my way.

As for the plastic bag controversy it wasn't long ago that this was supposed to be a solution to the use of paper, saving trees.

The waste comes in that everything now needs to be double bagged due the wafer thin plastic. If the insanity continues we'll all be bringing home groceries in burlap bags on a donkey powered cart.

As for the long strips of grocery reciepts we are nothing but a marketing report for the supermarkets once we swipe our "savings" card, with the only saving going to the owners who won't have to pay a marketing company to track what I buy......and yet all I get are coupons for the cat food I don't need.

The US is a much cleaner place since the '70's despite the guilt trip we are fed. I grew up during that era and recall the filth of the waters/air, oil washing up on beaches, toxins being dumped everywhere and the use of dangerous chemicals/paints in the home. Dumps where just that, with everything dropped anywhere. Now the "beautiful people" go to the transfer station under the watchful eye of the refuse police.

In the meantime the rest of the industrial world gets a pass on their pollution.

As for phony commercial Indians/Native Americans I recall
Johnny Pretzie, a pro fighter who had the distinction of getting his ass kicked by Rocky Marciano AND Jake LaMotta.

.....and who could forget Chief Jay Strongbow.


"The Punisher"

Anonymous said...

The crying chief spot is classic. First of all, why is the guy floating around a shipping port in a canoe? Secondly, the tunes are outrageous. Sounds like a cross between a Dirty Harry soundtrack and the Butthole Surfers. Thirdly, what's with the McDonalds bag? There appears to be about 6-7 pounds of stuff in the bag. We're not talking a hamburger wrapper (or even the styrofoam boxes of yesteryear) and a napkin. That thing explodes at his feet like a hand grenade.

You could seriously watch that spot for hours and find stuff in there to prattle on about. I had forgotton about the horseback spot, and in retrospect, does not have nearly the same quality of the original Chief McDonald's Bag classic.

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that all the "save the earth" attitude, that you drive a SUV. Lets practice what you preach.

One Man on an Island said...

I don't drive an SUV, I drive a Prius